Tuesday 29 April 2014

START: Walking book project

This was a project where I was asked to produce artwork for a book project called 'START Walking'. During the project I worked with START (Students and Refugees Together), Trufflehog and the Creative Writing students at Plymouth University. The book focused on the refugee communities of Plymouth and aimed to introduce them to walks within the city and the surrounding countryside. The book included nine walks each with a map, directions, interesting facts, local wildlife and interviews with members of the refugee communities.

Here are some of my initial map sketches and ideas:

Burrator Reservoir

Mt. Edgecumbe to Kingsand






The final artwork was made out of cut-paper and collaged together digitally. I made symbols that were used on each map. Here's some of the finished artwork:

Burrator Reservoir

Mt. Edgecumbe to Kingsand

Mt.Batten to Bovisand

As well as maps I also did some wildlife illustrations:

Badger

Sheep

Fallow Deer
Raven
Kingfisher

I finally received some copies of the finished item earlier this year - I will get some photos up soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment